Sunday, January 22, 2006

Google Online Player - Google Video

Today I got my Google Video Id and password. I was able to obtain this by paying my regular cable bill. The power of Google Video lies in the very fact that I can personalize the programs according to my choice. I subscribe to Cartoon Network which is a paid channel. My Google Video Id maintains the list of subscriptions that I’m eligible for. My favorite program on Cartoon Network is “Dexter’s Laboratory”, but Cartoon Network broadcasts this program in the afternoon. I want my share of personalization; Google Video allows me to achieve my objective. Google Video hosts all the programs that were telecast during the past week. I am entitled to view this program as I’ve already paid my subscription price and this is not a violation of any copyright laws.

Google Video will not allow me to download the file and use it indefinitely; this is a violation of copyright laws and it will lead to piracy. Now Google being ingenious with their traits have released Google Online Player. The Google Online Player cannot be downloaded; I’ll be able to use it from the Google Video page after logging on. The Google Play list available on my computer will be used by the Google Online Player. The Google Online Player will not allow me to play files which were downloaded on a date which is prior to the current date by 7 days; Google’s encryption on the files allows them to track dates accurately.
This player can only play files in “.GGL” format and these files will not be recognized by other players. Once I logon to the Google Video page, the Google Video Synchronizer will synchronize all the files available on my computer’s Google play list i.e. it will delete all the files that were downloaded before 7 days.

Google Video Id will only work with a single IP address selected by me at the time of obtaining the Id and password. If I wish to change the IP then I’ll have to contact my cable operator provide my identity proof (this is not an issue with my cable operator as he knows me personally and I can finish the process by making a phone call; even otherwise my cable operator maintains a list of phone no’s from each customer.) and get it done. Though this process of changing the IP is cumbersome it prevents people from publicly sharing their Google Video Id and password.

All the programs downloaded by me will contain advertisements, Google will partner with the content provider (Cartoon Network in this case) to plug in the advertisements and share the revenue based on their contract.

I think it is time for me to watch “Life is Beautiful”. I missed the movie yesterday; thankfully I have Google Video.

1 Comments:

Blogger Krish Srikkanth said...

Hey, Thanks for your comments on my blog! I see that you are an avid blogger yourself. Why not participate in the cricket blogging contest that I am judging in association with Google & Blogger. Here is the link to submit your entry.
http://www.google.co.in/cricket/contest.html

Cheers and keep blogging.
Srikkanth

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home