Thursday, January 19, 2006

Google - Microsoft Image Classifier

The time is 9 a.m. I am too lazy to walk out of my bunk; this is like waking up in the middle of my sleep. I usually sleep till 10:30 in the morning. As I slowly open my eyes, I feel the rays of the morning sun to be harsh on my eyes. I put into effect the lesson learnt by me through all my childhood, I turn my eyes towards the dark corner of the room where I can gaze for a while before stepping out of this lousy furniture. I realize my mistake; I can see an envelope on my reading desk which has all the attributes to make my day obnoxious. I still remember the last time I woke up to glare at an envelope; it was my grade sheet from school, I always knew that I don’t deserve any of it but never was I able to convince my parents.

I turn to my calendar with anticipation, but the Stars are not favorable today; it is a Sunday and my parents are at home. The clock struck 10:00; I knew it was time to face my parents in the drawing room and I better get prepared with the script, which will be required to pull out a remarkable performance. My eyes were feeling more comfortable to take the sting of the sun. I walked to the reading desk and took the envelope.

The envelope, there is something spooky about it. The grade sheet within the envelope is not my complete grade sheet; it is partial. This semester I actually scored an A+ in all my analytical papers (four in number) but it was the theory subjects which fetched me a C- (four in number, I always balance out my subjects). The grade sheet between my fingers contains only my C- grades. There is no script in this world which can save me from my parents until I can prove that this is only my partial grade sheet. The thought of not being able to leave my house for the next few weeks haunts me. I know for certain that the only way I can walk unscathed from this situation is by proving the fact that this was only my partial grade sheet.

I worked on a certain system a couple of months back and thought that this was the best time to test it. I installed a camera in every room to capture each and every activity in my house. I compressed the video captured and store it in my computer. I usually store data for the last ten days on my computer; the remaining files are purged by a program written by me. The video files are stored in the memory at the rate of 1 file/room for every 5 minutes. I use the latest version of Google Desktop Search to get the files created between the specified times and in specific locations.

I start searching the files captured in my room between 11 p.m. and 9 a.m. I have an amazing amount of data to go through. But with the new Microsoft search engine provided for images I think I can save a lot of time. I open the file corresponding to 11p.m. in the Microsoft Image Classifier and mark out a certain area, i.e. I draw a box around the reading table. Then I use the advanced search to specify, that I want to retrieve all the files which do not have the same pattern in the files between 11 p.m. and 9 a.m. I get files between 6:20 a.m. and 9 a.m. as the result of this search. I open the video file captured at 6:15 and I find my brother placing the grade sheet on my desk.
The pattern recognition program is so superior in its performance that it can help me search all the videos by a particular person. I start a new search with the input parameter to be my brother’s picture and the time to be between 5 a.m. and 6:20 a.m. I get video files from our kitchen from 6:00 a.m. to 6:15 a.m. I’ve the proof required to get out of my brother’s trap.

I am certain that this system will be very useful to me in the future too. I am absent-minded and have struggled in the past to recollect the place where I left my book the previous night. Now, I can search for that pattern and fetch the book without having to strain my mind. I think Google and MicroSoft must take responsibility in making me so careless. Yeah, I can tend to be careless because I can fetch anything back, remember it should be within 10 days. I know the constraint on the number of days is only short lived.

***Google Desktop Search, although a product by this name exists I'm not certain about it performing the functions listed here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home